Close encounter of the engaged kind...

>> Oct 16, 2005

Dude. So we're back from our Engaged Encounter retreat weekend. What an experience. Where to begin? So we were supposed to be in Malibu by 7:15 PM on Friday night (Malibu is about 75 miles away from us). We didn't leave my house until about 5:30 PM. And then we hit traffic. And we needed to arrive having eaten. We grabbed something fast and I spilled BBQ sauce on my pants (crotch-area, of course) trying to hand Anthony his food while he drove. We also got amazingly lost in narrow neighborhood streets, and almost hit Bambi on the way (I now understand the phrase, "...like a deer in headlights.") Bambi seemed to say to us, "Dude, you guys are seriously over an hour late." We arrived a little after 8:30 PM.

The retreat was basically a chance for the two of us to discuss marriage and what we think we're getting into. Yes, it was a Catholic retreat, and yes, I know a lot of people don't really agree with the views of the Catholic Church, so I guess now is the time to mention that lots of other faiths were there, too, from Buddhists to Baptists. Not one couple walked away in a huff. It took place in beautiful Malibu (where I now want to live) at a retreat center in the hills. Fun times, we had to room with another person of the same gender. *Sigh* I know what you're thinking. We've waited this long to travel together..why not be able to stay in the same room? It's okay, we weren't too bummed about it. At least for me, I had a very cool roomie who was very accommodating and didn't fart in her sleep or ask me if her fiance could sleep in our room with us.

If anyone didn't know this by now, Anthony and I have been dating for almost 8 years now, so we know each other pretty well. I wanted to go because first of all, it's one of the requirements in order to get married in the church. Secondly, I wanted to reinforce what I already knew: that Anthony was THE one. Anthony, as usual, was too busy to really get excited about anything, so he was just going through the motions. Also, he felt we'd already talked about everything. But, he was going with positive intentions. And that's all I could ask for.

I will spare you from all the swarmy, marmy, mushy details, but just know that I love Anthony more than ever now. And I know Anthony feels the same way. But I'll let him tell his side of the story. We were still trying to get our bearings and settle in on Friday after being so late, so other than the beautiful view of the almost half-moon reflecting off the ocean while I wrote in my journal, we didn't get that much out of it. Saturday was a full day of the same thing, with the amazing view of the hills and ocean as we reflected on so much. But Sunday was the kicker for us. Lots of tears and emotion. Good tears and good emotion. Lots of "us-time" and commitment vows that I'm still thinking about even a couple of hours afterward and I will for a long time.

I highly recommend this retreat to anyone that is getting married. I know a lot of people may have already gone to this and didn't get anything out of it. It's different with us. I think it had a lot to do with the atmosphere and what you as a couple make of it.

It also helped that we made up names for some of the 46 couples that were there with us. We're ruthless when we're in public. Sorry to any couples we offended. :) But other than being the recluse "too cool for school" couple, we did meet some crazy couples that we will definitely keep in touch with.

With all that, we had a great experience, and I can't WAIT to be married.

Who knows?...in a couple of years, Anthony and I might even be one of the host couples that present to other engaged couples. Yikes! What's next? Anthony might as well look into being a priest. And I, a nun. Just kidding. Sorry everyone. All of these good things are finally happening to us, and we want to spread the love or give back somehow.

Pics to come!

Much love, Annie

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP