The Art of Racing in the Rain

>> Jul 1, 2008


So I've taken up some summer reading. Actually is happened by mistake but I'm glad it did. You see here I am in Starbucks with Andrew buying a tall mocha frap, and while I wait for my drink to arrive in my hands I see a book on display. So naturally with nothing else to do but wait, I pick it up. Now I'm not usually a reader but I do like to read when given the right book.


The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein is one of those books! For any dog lover, this book is for you. A philosopher and man's best friend, this book is narrated by Enzo, a Labrador retriever who is obsessed with opposable thumbs and race car driving. On the eve of his death, Enzo takes the reader back through his life and recalls his ups and downs.


One can't help but read this book and look at your dog a whole new way. You begin to wonder what your dog is thinking inside his/her head.


As Annie and I get closer to the arrival of our baby, we often think how Bennie is going to react. Her parents tell us that Bennie will not be allowed in the house when the baby is inside. However, we want Bennie to love our baby and we want Bennie to be a part of his/her life. granted we would never leave Bennie alone with our baby but we definitely want our baby to grow up with Bennie. Nevermind the fact my dog ran away when I was born and my family still teases me about the loss of Fritos to this day.


This brings me to a part in the book where I'm given hope that Bennie will love our baby. So Enzo's owner, Denny, just came back from a race (He's a race car driver) but he missed the birth of his daughter, Zoe. Hanging out with friends for a celebration, Denny isn't all that into celebrating given the fact he knows he did wrong by not being there for the birth of his daughter.


"I don't care about that," Denny said. "I should have been there."

"She came early. You can't know what's going to happen before it happens."

"Yes, I can," Denny said. "If I'm any good, I can."

"Anyway," Mike said, lifting his beer bottle, "to Zoe."

"To Zoe, " Denny echoed.

To Zoe, I said to myself. Whom I will always protect.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP