"There's only us..."

>> Nov 28, 2005

So last week we saw the movie version of RENT. It brought back lots of memories for me. Did anyone ever wonder how Anthony and I came to be? As cheesy as it may be, it all started with RENT. First of all, the final count is Anthony: 11 times and Annie: 6 times--the number of times we had seen RENT the musical.

First of all, Anthony and I met at
Souplantation when we were 18 (we're 27 years old now, so it's been awhile!). So you could say that it's a combination of RENT and Souplantation (the best combination there is!). Anthony was just another co-worker in the grinding, well-oiled wheel that was Souplantation. Gradually, we both realized that we had the same sense of humor (everything was either a pun or an inside joke that was funny only to us), so we were buddies. He had gone to Boston and had seen RENT and came back a raving maniac about it, and talking about it non-stop and how much he loved it, and how he wanted to see it again and again, and that it was coming to LA. I knew vaguely of it; I had gone to a dance recital and heard one of the songs ...I knew I liked it but I never knew what the name of the song was.

And then
RENT came to Los Angeles. I told him I was interested in seeing it some time, but I was never really committed to anything. Then a co-worker (female) came up to me and asked me, "Are you going to see RENT with me and Anthony?" I was surprised and replied, "I'd love to, but I don't think I'm invited." Knowing Anthony's game (the pimp at the "'plantation"), I figured I was part of a plan relating to Anthony's latest crush, so I thought, "WHATEVER; he's using me and didn't even tell me." To make a long story short (I know, I know), after lots of back and forth banter, Anthony convinced me that he really wanted me to go with him and that I wouldn't be the third wheel on their date because it WASN'T a date.

If I remember the back story correctly, Jonathon Larsen (composer, who passed away shortly before opening night on Broadway) had always wanted to make sure students got a chance to see the musical. Thus, the first 2 rows were always reserved for a $20 student rate, and patrons were usually chosen by lottery or by "first-come, first-serve" basis. In the case of Los Angeles, it was by first-come, first-serve, meaning, "You'd better be ready at dawn to bring your sleeping bags, snacks, a good attitude, and hard fists (if anyone tried to steal your place in line), and set up camp at the side of the Ahmanson like a bum if you have a prayer of getting a seat to tonight's show."

I remember asking my dad if I could go see a play in LA with 2 people from work. As many of you may not know, my parents run a tight ship. They have, and always will be strict with me. Imagine how surprised I was when my dad waved at Anthony (whom he's never met) from the top of the staircase at 4 A.M. on a weekday when he came to pick me up. I had an overnight bag and a dressy outfit hanging, and GET THIS, GET THIS, I said to Anthony when my dad went back in his room to continue getting ready for work, after telling us to be safe and drive carefully, "Dude, I feel like I'm eloping, and my dad doesn't even mind."

Tee hee. Ah, my future husband and my dad's future son-in-law. The meeting was perfect.

So we finally get there and after about 14 hours of bumming it against the side of the building, we were ready, and since we were first in line, we got 1st row, center. :)

All I know is that from the moment they started singing, "
Rent", I couldn't stop crying. I'm not sure why I was crying, but it was that emotional for me. I cried through the entire show. The show just had such powerful singing and a unique message. The song I didn't know the name of? "Will I?," which is still one of my favorites.

After continuing to see the show on its run in LA, Anthony and I became closer and soon, best friends.

We became each other's confidante. I remember Anthony once saying about his love life, "I don't think it's in the books for me to get married." And I remember saying back to him, with all sincerity, because I was his best friend, "I think you have to be married. You have a lot of love to give someone else and that can't be wasted." I knew he was touched by that. BUT I DIDN'T MEAN FOR THAT SOMEONE TO BE ME! jk.

We soon realized that we were getting jealous everytime we talked about our recent dates with other people, or who were were pining away for at the moment, or just anyone of the opposite sex that we happened to talk to, I think. But we resisted to tell each other how we felt. After a lot of subtle hints, we decided to give "us" a shot.

So here we are in the present. After 8 years of fighting, soul-searching, moments where we knew we could love no one else but each other, and lots of other musicals and plays (feeding into Anthony's love for theater), we have decided that it IS "in the books" for Anthony to be married, and that I should have convinced him to elope that morning if we knew what we know now.

So as far as the review of the movie...I loved it, aside from the corny parts (hmm, riding around on a bicycle singing doesn't work well, and neither does singing on top of a desert canyon with arms spread open "Scott Stapp"-style). It's difficult to translate certain parts of the play from the stage to the screen. Anthony liked it, but expected more because he loved the play so much. I loved how "
Rent", "Life Support", "Tango: Maureen", "Out Tonight", "Another Day (another absolute favorite of mine)", "La Vie Boheme", and "I'll Cover You reprise" were done.

Have no idea what the hell I'm talking about? WTF is
La Vie Boheme? See the movie or even better, see the play!

I'll see if I can find some dusty pictures of us during those days...

xo, Annie

3 comments:

Anonymous 8:41 PM  

That was nice.
Nice to read after the day I've had.
I love you you know

Angela 1:20 PM  

Being the huge stalker on myspace that I am, and how much I miss seeing you guys (it's been too long!) and not to mention I'm too lazy to start studying for finals, I thought I'd leave you two a message. I saw RENT last week and was also very moved by it, it was not as good as the musical but still very very good! I loved reading your little story about how you two met, and am even more regretful that I won't be able to be there this spring for the actual wedding (stupid second semester finals!). I hope you two have a beautiful holiday season, an even better wedding, and I hope to see you both soon--very soon!

Love always,
your cousin in Chicago
Angela

Annie 3:13 PM  

Nooo! I never thought about the option of people not making it to the wedding! I can't believe you're not going to be there. :(

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP